Pot Lights

Pot Lights 2017-05-02T14:00:47+00:00
LED Lights vs Incandescent
Notice the difference…. Lower level (front of garage) has regular par20 incandescent lamps,
Top level has LED 4000k lamps.
[su_row class=”pot-lights-row”][su_column size=”1/2″]image006[/su_column] [su_column size=”1/2″]image007[/su_column] [/su_row]

Pot light installations can be very difficult to quote without seeing the home. We would need some more information, such as:

  • What kind of pot light bulb do you would want in your home? MR16, GU10, par 20, LED.
  • What Brand? With pot lights you get what you pay for. Cost of a pot light can range from $10 to $90 each.
  • Where will they be installed? In an attic area, finished ceiling or open ceiling.

Here are some frequently asked questions that you should know:

Do we need a vapour barrier?

Pot lights installed in an attic area require it by building code not electrical code. We install the vapour barriers because IT makes sense, and it now complies with all codes.
We would need to know if the lower level is open. 99% of the time we will need to add a line from the electrical panel to withstand the new load and comply with electrical code. (MOST common mistake I find… and I share it so YOU are informed. Do not be misled by an electrician, electrical code is CLEAR, you are allowed 12 items is the maximum per circuit. UNLESS the circuit contains ONLY lighting load, then you can use the load calculation to determine how many pot light per circuit). This can be verified by the Electrical Safety Authority.

Do we need a permit?

YES any alterations and/or adding of wire would require an ESA permit. The only persons that can obtain a permit would be the person doing the work, Electrical Contractor or a home owner. Therefore homeowners can obtain a permit IF they are doing the work. YET an electrician CANNOT. An electrician can work for an Electrical contractor not directly for a homeowner.

Please note working without a permit is against the law. Homeowners can face fines of up to $50,000.00. It’s not worth the risk. Hire an electrical contractor or if you are doing the work, obtain an ESA permit.

We pride ourselves on providing information to all of our potential clients so they can make an informed decision about their home.